Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Have you ever heard this saying?

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

I have started to associate this saying recently with my writing, or rather, my lack of writing. I guess the cowardly writer version might go, “It is better to write nothing and think you are a genius than to write something and prove you’re not.” *wry grin*

It took me a couple of days to work myself up to rereading “Late Night Radio”, and I found that it was not as bad as I feared, but not as good as I had hoped. It is the most complete story in my big box o’ stories right now, and I think it could really be good, but I let self-doubt stand in my way too often to get any momentum on it.

But instead of sitting here moaning and groaning about it, I am going to force myself to go upstairs *right now* and work on it. Sayonara!

2 comments:

  1. Onward and upward, friend. The world doesn't even know what they're missing because you won't clue them in. (Consider this your annual ass-kicking.) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks--I needed that. I didn't actually work on it last night, because I was watching John put the finishing touches on a paper model he was building. Also, my brain was a bit mushy after cooking up a big dinner, complete with fried mushrooms *drool*.

    BUT, this morning on the bus I started tweaking a few things and marking places I need to change. I guess baby steps are better than no steps, but I am mentally blocking out this afternoon as writing time (at least until our tie-dye shirts are ready to be washed around 5).

    As you said, onward and upward!

    ReplyDelete