Monday, March 27, 2006

For Monday, March 27

Work in Progress: New short story, no name yet

I know! I always have a hard time sleeping on Sunday night--partly from staying up later on Friday and Saturday, partly because I know Hannah has to be at school at 7:45 on Monday morning--and it was made worse by the time change (we sprang forward already here in Europe) last night. So as I lay there not sleeping, I came up with the start of a new short story. I jotted down what I had during my lunch break today and came up with 2/3 of a handwritten page. Now, Kee could sneeze and come up with more words than that, but for me, it's not too bad.

It seems stupid for me to be starting new stories when I have a basket of partials already, including one I am actively wrestling with, but on the other hand, I live in fear that one day the ideas will dry up, so I have to grab what comes my way while it's still happening.

I got the idea from reading the blog of an agent, and she said that if she sees another story (probably novel, actually) start with someone kneeling in the forest gathering herbs, she will choke. So my guy is kneeling, but he just wants the plant to sell it, and he gets kicked from behind and crushes it. Well, it sounds better than that on paper. ;-p Plus there's zombies chasing them. Zombies make every story better.

No comments:

Post a Comment