Monday, May 14, 2007

Ding dong! The paper’s dead! Woot!

Yes, I finished my paper, and my professor agreed to take it, so I’m golden. I’m actually moderately proud of my paper, if I don’t look too closely at the conclusion, which was a bit rushed and not as elegant as I’d hoped it’d be, but since when have conclusions been my forte? At this point, I’ll be glad just to pass.

I keep going back and forth on how I should feel about my accomplishment. On the one hand, my paper was *6 weeks late.* On the other hand, only 11 people even tried to get a grade in the course, out of at least 40 warm bodies that attended class. But I don’t just want to be one of the few students who toughed it out. I want to be the shiny-gold-star student. So with that in mind, I’m starting my paper for the course I’m currently taking next week. (No shit—I already have a possible topic and will be at my prof’s office hour next week to discuss it.)

So what was the total damage on my paper?
  • 23 + pages

  • cover page

  • an anti-plagiarism statement

  • an index

  • 2 pages of bibliography

= 29 pages handed in

What did I clear off my desk in the sunroom afterwards?
  • 6 reference works

  • 21 copied articles (7 of which I didn’t end up using in my paper), for a total of 226 sheets of paper, most of which were 2 book pages per sheet, so 294 book pages

  • 27 pages copied from reference works I didn’t want to lug home from the library

  • 35 pages of my paper’s contents, printed out and marked up

  • 126 pages of notes and handwritten content, plus a small pile of pages off the phone pad, a couple of envelopes, strips off a sheet of paper, and even 1 page from a Sudoku game

= 414 sheets of paper juggled by yours truly over the life of the paper

This is what *just the notes/handwritten content* looks like in shredded form.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And now I am going to watch Muppets with Hannah with a clear conscience!

2 comments:

  1. Woo hoo!! I knew you would get it done today. I was getting pretty sick of harping on you for it. And I know you were wishing I'd shut the hell up. Yeah, Mom passed on the "Bite Me" comment. But you did ask for poking/prodding. Well, at least I think you did.

    Anyway. I am just on my way to the post office to mail a query. Scary, since the revisions are not all done.

    But I am living in the "follow your gut feelings" mode today, and I think this is what I need to do.
    But snail-mail will buy me some time, and, hopefully, I will clean it up before I get my rejection letter. And then I'll be ready to send out on a wider scale with e-mail.

    Wish me luck and congrats to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got my fingers crossed and will dig out my lucky underwear, all for you! :-)

    ReplyDelete