Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Shaking things up

If by "shaking" you mean "stirring very slowly without letting anything slosh up the sides".

But seriously, I have added writing daily pages to my morning routine, after coffee and CNN with John but before Wii Plus, and I find I am coming to depend on it. Not only as a place to jot down my daily to-do list (which then lets me forget about it long enough to think about other things), but also as a place in which to journal some of the things that I would rather not whine about on my regular blog and to "think out loud" about my work in progress.

I am between jobs at the moment, so I am trying to ensure that I spend more time on my writing, now that I have some extra time to spend, but it is sometimes hard switching gears. Free writing each morning seems to be helping with prising the words out of my brain, but there are still plot issues and a few other things that are unresolved and that I am spending lots of my "writing" time researching or thinking about, sometimes with the help of my journal--which, by the way, looks like this:



I splurged on it for myself, and John has been totally coveting it.

My writing time hasn't been in vain, though. I have had a lot of ideas that just went "click", and I knew they were exactly right for my story. Of course, I also had an idea that when followed to its logical conclusion made my story suddenly take a left turn and become a (political) thriller, which--no. That's just not going to happen.

Well, Hannah just walked in the door, so I must sign off for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment