Friday, March 25, 2011

Clickety Clack

"...understanding was coming so fast it seemed to have bypassed thought."

-Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

That seems to be the point I have reached in my story: the big plot is falling into place, and there is so much "clicking" with various details that it is starting to sound like a zipper. I am thinking a lot of these things out in my journal/daily pages, so I am going to have to go back and look them all up to put them in one document for handy reference once the last few details--like how this sucker is going to end!--have decided to make themselves known to me.

I can only assume that my subconscious mind is busily working away at this, aided and assisted by my daydreams while jogging, showering, and dishwashing. Once I have a good idea of where this thing is going, I'll be ready to buckle down and get some writing in--by which I mean the text of the actual story, not the 3-5 pages I am already writing in my journal each day by hand. It just seems that even when I am not working, the day goes by so fast. Before I know it, Hannah is home and needs my assistance with homework, which is something I am totally dedicated to doing (see my other blog for more info, if you need it). I think once I have reached that point, though, my daily pages will shrink down to my to-do list and more small details for my story, and I can follow them up with some writing on the story itself. Sort of like my daily exercise routine: I use the balance, aerobics, and Fit Plus games on Wii Fit to warm up for jogging (I'm up to 20 minutes = 4 km a day!). I'll use my journal to warm up for writing.

I know it sounds a little naive to talk about writing I plan to do in the future (as opposed to reporting on writing I am already accomplishing), but I have noticed that if I start to think about and plan for something in advance, it is much easier to do when I get to that point. John even made fun of me for demanding that he tell me about his heretofore vague travel plans for last weekend, since it was only for a day trip. But if he wants me--and more importantly, Hannah--to go along and be a pleasant companion, I need some time to adjust my mental picture of what my weekend is going to look like. Then I can ride along and be interested and enjoy myself. Same thing with writing (and working in general): I can't concentrate on writing without knowing where I am going, but once I've got that info, I can throw myself into writing and know I am going to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment