Friday, March 30, 2007

Well, did you think I forgot how to write?

I almost did. Part-time work doesn't always turn out to be part-time. But guess what...I almost didn't go in today.

Why, pray tell?

Because I woke up with a story on my brain. Not just on it, but swimming around the shallow waters of consciousness until I felt like I would burst if I didn't get some of it on paper. And so I gredgingly went in to work, cause like they expect to see me everday, but I sat at my desk for almost an hour and spewed out what I could before my hand cramped up because I was writing out longhand.

It was great. That feeling that the only thing that existed at that time was the story unfolding in my head. Man I missed that feeling.

And I actually liked that I didn't have time when I immediately woke up to write it all down, because then I would have missed out on "the stew". That's where I replay in my head the scene over and over because I'm afraid I'll forget parts before I can write it down. But in that process I end up working out things like setting, background, character traits, etc. By the time that I finally get to paper, then I have the "feel" of it.

I didn't stew enough with Ransom and I can feel the difference when I read it compared to the sequel and the Relation story. With Ransom, I seem to get lost and lose focus, like I'm trying too hard.

So, it's aside while I stew and write (going to try and do it at the same time) on Relation and the new one. Which I will call Regency, for now.

Guess why? Cause it's a Regency Romance. Whoo hoo!

I know. You're not as impressed as I am. And even though I don't know if I can do it, and it kinda scares me a little, I'm going to try.

Can't wait to send you progress updates. Hopefully the next three weeks will fly by.

P.S. I have set a goal to get published by 35. Who knows?

3 comments:

  1. Hey, welcome back! Glad to hear that your writing is still calling to you, even if you have to do a bit of a contortionist act to fit it in with work, etc.

    I didn't know that you like Regency romance. I can't wait to see what you've got!

    I bet you make your goal of 35. I doubt I will, though. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last weekend, I had two story ideas.

    One was burning to get out. I wrote it and am pleased with it. Not Regency for sure, more modern woman wins through with a romantic couple of twists.

    The other is clear in my mind but I don't want to sit down and write it. It's a sort of Thomas Crown romance chess story variant with horror overtones.

    I can't figure out why I don't want to write it. Puzzling really?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe it's like what happens to me: writing the story in actual *words* might mar the perfection in my mind. At least, that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it. :-)

    ReplyDelete