Thursday, March 08, 2007

I have tried repeatedly to revise LNR, but I would get a few paragraphs in and hit a block. I just had no idea what to do there. As you can imagine, this has been horribly frustrating. Right now, time isn’t a problem, but having a brain of mush definitely is.

So a couple of nights ago, I finally said, “The hell with corrections,” and just read the story straight through. I don’t know why I didn’t do that in the first place, but I guess I thought I knew where the problem areas where, and I was tackling the first one first.

The good news is that I finally realized: I finished a story! I always planned on adding one more segment, but even without it, it’s a complete story.

The bad news is that the problem areas are less specific areas and more the whole story. *sigh* But I’ve been feeling more optimistic since the read-through.

Then last night, the solution to the problem of the last segment came to me. I started writing on it, and I feel good about the change. For me, less is always going to be more. If I try to flesh out a scene, I feel like I’m bludgeoning the reader with details. So I’ll stick with my normal m.o. and see how that works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment