Saturday, January 20, 2007

I figure since the writing content on this blog has been (and may continue to be) somewhat sparse, I could include my book list here instead of on my personal blog. Reading and writing go together like peanut butter and jelly (mmm... pb&j), and writers are readers first, so I feel that it is a natural extension of the original purpose of this blog.

The public library here has very few books in English (Duh! It's Germany!), and even fewer I recognize the authors of, so it has been a bit hit or miss, finding a book I enjoy. Beyond the books I already own, I mean.

I recognized Things Fall Apart, but I don't think I had ever read it before. (I think John read or saw a movie version of it when he took an African literature class back in the day.) It was very interesting, written from the perspective of an African (in what was to become Nigeria) during the period of European colonization. I liked it, but I didn't get really excited about it, if that makes sense.

For my next book, I gave Paul Doherty a try. He has a whole series of medieval novels, according to the book jacket, and I like historical novels, both fictionalized history (I, Elizabeth, Girl with a Pearl Earring) and fiction in a historical setting, so it seemed like a promising choice. But I was just not impressed. All the characters sounded roughly the same, and the description didn't manage to pull me in. Sad to say, I skimmed the bulk of it. The story is actually a murder mystery in a medieval setting, and I wanted to see how it ended, which is the only reason I stuck with the skimming instead of putting the book back in the library book basket.

1 comment:

  1. Two comments:
    1. I had to read Things Fall Apart in a World Lit class. I vaguely remember liking it, but I vaguely remember it, if that tells you anything.

    2. Have you ever read anything by Phillippa Gregory? She writes historical fiction. Carol gave me one of hers (The Other Boelyn Girl) and I really dug it for some light reading. I also listened to the audio (abridged) version of The Constant Princess, and it was pretty decent, though I like the the first one I read better.

    3. Okay, three comments I guess. I am almost finished with A Woman in Berlin (Anonymous). Ever read it? Carol got it for me for Christmas, likening it to The Kite Runner, which I rank as one of the top 5 best books I have ever read (though the reading is uncomfortable). I don't think I put Berlin near that high, but it is certainly interesting.

    If you're interested, I can pass some of these along to you... let me know.

    ReplyDelete