Friday, June 10, 2011

So you think you can write

Hell yeah, I think I can write.

Sorry...just got jazzed up watching So You Think You Can Dance. I have always wanted to move like that. I love watching those shows that push people to their limits. It motivates you. So much so that I actually was doing push ups during the commercials. Granted, I can only do like 3 at a time cause all the blood rushes to my face and I try to hyperventilate (do you think that's normal for a push up?). But I try.

The same with my writing. I read because it motivates me to write. There are a couple of reasons I can think of why this happens. The first is that when I read something *really* bad, I get pissed knowing that if something that bad got published then my stuff has a chance, too. Not entirely logical, but motivational nonetheless.

The second reason I find I reading motivational is for the jumpstart. Escaping into someone else's writing is like priming my mind to escape into the world I created in my own writing. I realize I need that transition from reality into my writing bubble. So I take it.

But time is limited. Somedays I don't have time to read. That's when everyone suffers. I almost have a physical need to read, or maybe it's the need for the mental escape. I feel twitchy, anxious, short-tempered, and all-around bitchy when I can't read even a few lines of a new book. That's when pulling out the re-reads takes the edge off. Those are the few books that I liked so much I bought (versus the well-used library card), and read over and over. Just reading a scene from one of those brings the rest of the story to mind and lets me escape into it.

Someday I would love to be the author of someone's go-to re-read book.

How cool would that be.

1 comment:

  1. John was just giving me a hard time for checking the tv schedule for a couple of shows (reruns of series) I like, just to see which episodes are going to be on. Once I know that, I know how it goes and don't need to spend the half hour watching it. That's good enough for me, most days.

    And I'm impressed that you are taking motivation where you can find it. That is the way of the true philosopher. ;)

    ReplyDelete