Thursday, June 09, 2011

Back up a sec... (correction to previous post)

While walking to physical therapy this morning, it occurred to me that part of what I wrote in my last post might be misconstrued. Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to say that someone has to be a reader in my genre to "get" what I am writing. Hell, I couldn't even say what genre I am writing in beyond "fantasy". And that encompasses a wide range of sub-genres, just like romance does.

One reason I went back and made changes was because I obviously hadn't done a good job of conveying the mood or tone I had in mind, not because of Kee's personal expectations. If I had done my job correctly, I would have been able to pull her in *despite* her expectations. So obviously I flubbed that somehow.

For now, I am going to go back to my earliest inclinations--to just write what is going on--for the first draft, and then to consciously go back and look for places where more info is needed. I don't think I could sustain that through an entire manuscript, and maybe I'll get better at doing both at the same time as I go, but I think I can manage it scene by scene. It's someplace to start, at least.

1 comment:

  1. "I would have been able to pull her in *despite* her expectations"

    This is what I wanted when I read it. To be drawn into your world. You have a fascinating mind. I just wanted a peek.

    Keep at it and feed me more.

    ReplyDelete