Sunday, January 11, 2009



I don’t normally make New Year’s resolutions, but this year I have resolved to whittle away my to-read pile. John knows how much I love to read, and every xmas I get books from him, but I don’t seem to have made much headway recently on getting through my stack. This last semester has been rather heavy-duty, so there has been no reading for pleasure, outside of the occasional peek into one of my “wubby” books: Pride and Prejudice, Harry Potter, The Dead Zone, The Lord of the Rings. I often read the last three when I feel a little down. Nothing makes me feel better than a guaranteed cry.

Anyhow, I had taken up Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell as bathroom reading a while back, but it was getting too engrossing for that setting, and I didn’t have more time to devote to it, so it went into the closet until yesterday. I thought I was about halfway through it, but alas, my bookmark is only about one-quarter of the way in. So now I have something to do in the evenings in addition to mastering Rock Band for Wii and the occasional sewing project. During the day, I will be putting my nose to the grindstone on my thesis (I even did a little research for it already this morning!). I refuse to feel guilty about reading in the evening, as long as I get my work done in the morning.

I had grand plans for organizing my reading plan, maybe going in alphabetical order, but that would be a huge undertaking, so I think I will just try to mix it up as I go. And post my progress here, just to have something to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment