Tuesday, September 09, 2008

I’m glad to see that Kee had something to post while I was off on vacation. It will probably take me forever and a day just to label the 700+ photos we took, much less blog the trip. I haven’t even finished blogging the previous trip to Stockholm! School stuff and an editing gig are going to have to come first, though.

While waiting for one of several loads of laundry to finish up, I was perusing some of the blogs I have bookmarked—there are a *lot* of them, but I don’t read all of them regularly—and I came across a really excellent post by Alice over at Finslippy. She told about an art class where one half of the class was graded on the quantity of pots they produced, and the other half was graded on the quality of pots they produced. Surprisingly, the quantity half of the class made more improvement than the quality half, because they could make improvements on previous mistakes with the next pot, whereas the quality half got bogged down trying to make the perfect pot on the first try. Alice rightly, in my opinion, pointed out that this applies to all creative arts: you create something, and if it is not perfect on the first try, so what; you do it better next time. Anyhow, I thought it was something interesting and important enough to mention here.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Deanna, I love reading your stuff, and this business of quality vs quantity is interesting. I pieced a big quilt in a pattern and style new to me. I didn't agonize over color/fabric choices...just jumped in and made the thing, in 7 full days. And, DAMN! It came out too dark. Not butt-ugly but not what I was hoping for. So... I pieced another huge quilt in the same pattern,but in different colors and it came out Gorgeous.
    The piecing was much easier the second time around, and maybe I learned something about color, but the investment in time and fabric was significant. I want everything I lay my hand on to turn out great...but I guess there are not going to be any shortcuts! Got to do the work! Hugs, Mom in La.

    ReplyDelete