Monday, February 12, 2007

Not much to report on writing, just dribs and drabs, but I thought I would pad, ahem, enhance the content here with bits and pieces from other people's blogs. To get you (and myself) thinking, not just to hijack content.

Jay Lake, from his blog post “Goals, Behaviors and the Writer's Mind”
There are so many writers I know who have high minded goals, but don't align their behaviors with those goals. "I'd like to be published by the time I'm [age]." "I'd like to sell this novel." But they don't write consistently, or submit consistently, or seek out paths to improve their work. Almost all of us writers have an astonishing capacity for self-deception, and it gets deployed to great advantage in this arena.

My suggestion is if you feel you aren't achieving your goals as a writer, examine your behaviors. If you want to be published, are you writing consistently? Sending those stories out? If you want to be a novelist, are you working on novels? It doesn't matter what you're goals are, only that you understand them.

No comments:

Post a Comment